Who we are
The Cart and Wagon Shed project
The Cart and Wagon Shed was built around 1860 and is an early example of a prefabricated iron-frame military building.
It is Grade II listed for its special architectural or historic interest.
Sitting at the heart of the redeveloped Shoeburyness Garrison site, it has the historic Garrison buildings to one side and the newly formed Gunners Park to the other. To the front, it sits on the edge of the Thames Estuary with its beautiful and interesting views.
Shoebury Coastal CIC is taking inspiration from both the ancient and more modern history of Shoeburyness and the Garrison site, the Shoebury Archives and artefacts (collected by Major Tony Hill MBE), and the natural heritage of Gunners Park and the wider nature reserve and Thames Estuary to create a heritage and visitor centre.
The Cart and Wagon Shed comprises four main internal areas: a heritage display hall, archives storage rooms, community rooms that are available for hire and a café area. The café area is licensed to and operated by Serendipity Cafe Southend CIC. There is also outside garden space.
Shoebury Coastal Community Interest Company
Shoebury Coastal CIC was established in 2016 to take forward the Cart and Wagon Shed project.
The Company is a not-for-profit organisation. Directors have been drawn from the Shoeburyness & South Essex Branch of the Royal Artillery Association, the Shoeburyness Coastal Community Team and the Shoebury Society.
Southend-on-Sea City Council has funded the internal fit out of the Cart and Wagon Shed and has let it to Shoebury Coastal CIC to secure a sustainable future for the building as a heritage and community space, offering heritage interpretation, space for community groups and other small not-for-profit organisations and a café.